Friday, March 18, 2011

Something I learned on the mat.

 This morning my husband said he was taking the boys to work with him (for the morning only!), so I was like "Ah, my chance to get a walk in!". Since it's been awhile, I decided I was going to just walk, not push..make it enjoyable. As I was walking around the lake, another woman came up along side me, and after exchanging a few pleasant words, she began to pass me. And out came the dark side."Should I speed up", I ask myself, "See if I can keep up? Hmph, she thinks she's better, faster. Maybe she is...what's wrong with me? I'm not enough."  Then came (thank goodness) "There's not a damn thing wrong with me, and I am enough...different doesn't make me bad or her better. We're just different."
 This is one of the strongest lessons I have learned on the mat. I have a wonderful teacher whose class I rarely miss. She's always reminding us that being able to do a headstand or lay your face on the floor in a wide leg forward fold does not make one person more enlightened or "better" than another.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses...and all that makes us is different. Not good,bad, more than or less than. Just different.

2 comments: