Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Coping Mechanism

A funny thing just happened...not funny haha but funny, like "Oh, ok". I was just snacking out on some oreos..mini ones...but I wasn't really hungry..just looking for something..then I checked my email and started reading this great post from  Medicinal Marzipan. Then I stopped and asked myself what was really going on. You see, I'm not physically  hungry. I'm actually feeling a little anxious. My dad (he's 82) lives with us and over the weekend he had a nosebleed that lasted an hour. Then today he had two more and luckily my sister was here and could take him to the hospital (both my boys were home and hubby working). But even though I trust her I really wanted my husband to go up to the hospital after work, and he basically told me no, that my sister could handle it. Not the answer I wanted to hear. So there I was, eating to help ease the anxiety when (non)coincidentally I come upon an email that reminds me I am on the intuitive eating journey, and maybe I should look at what is really going on. But also not to beat myself up about eating to ease the anxiety. And then I thought, I'll just blog it! Because writing really helps me when I'm feeling things I'm not sure what to do with. It's my one of my favorite coping mechanisms.  What's your favorite coping mechanism?

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya. I know this will sound silly, but I recently read that conciously bringing yourself to think of things you are thankful for is a great way to avoid the affects of stress (somewhat) I have had to try it because of the stress of watching my parents health spiral, and because I eat(graze) when I am stressed. Even the little things, like being thankful for the comforts of home, remind me things will be ok.
    Hope all is ok.

    An old friend

    ReplyDelete